Israel closes Gaza fishing zone in response to Palestinian rockets

Israel closes Gaza fishing zone in response to Palestinian rockets

The fishing zone will be completely closed until further notice.

Following security consultation and the continuation of rocket fire from the Gaza Strip towards the State of Israel, the Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories Maj.-Gen. Rassan Alian announced on Monday that the fishing zone in the Gaza Strip would be completely closed starting at 6 a.m. and until further notice.

COGAT had said earlier that the fishing zone would be restricted from 15 to nine nautical miles, but after additional rockets were fired, the decision was made to completely close it. COGAT said in a statement earlier in the day that “the decision was made in light of repeated terrorist acts from the Gaza Strip against the citizens of the State of Israel during recent days, which constitute a violation of Israeli sovereignty.

Hamas is held accountable for all that is done in and from the Gaza Strip towards Israel, and it will bear the consequences for the violence committed against the citizens of the State of Israel,” the statement said.
Multiple Palestinian sources claimed early Monday morning that rather than being restricted to nine nautical miles, Israel may be closing the fishing zone off completely, though official Israeli sources have yet to confirm this.
According to the IDF, three rockets we fired from overnight.
It was said in a statement that two of them were intercepted by Aerial Defense combat troops, and one rocket exploded inside the Gaza Strip.

www.prensa.cancilleria.gob.ar es un sitio web oficial del Gobierno Argentino